Sunday, November 16, 2014

Being Here Now


I figured November would be a quiet month at the Institute.  I envisioned a personal retreat of sorts.  Although my husband Michael traveled with me, he is now off having adventures exploring temples in southern India.  In light of Guruji’s passing, I didn’t know what I would find here or how I would feel being here. 

The yoga hall is filled with students from all over the world making this pilgrimage to the source of our shared inspiration.  There are at least 120 of us in the practice hall.  Iyengar Yoga thrives!  Classes are being taught with a deep sense of calm clarity.

I felt a personal calling to make this trip.  The man who inspired my life’s work has passed and being here allows me to pay my respects and to know on an experiential level that Iyengar Yoga continues. It has taken me a while to find the words to express what I am experiencing here.  Reverence, commitment and gratitude come through the teachers, their teaching, our practice and our community.  Reverence for all that our esteemed teacher has shared with us through out his life.  The commitment of all who have the fire for Iyengar Yoga to travel, practice, study and teach.  And gratitude for the legacy we are all part of.  JLYC students and all students of Iyengar Yoga teachers are an important part of this legacy.  If you practice yoga in a class or in your home practice and it changes the way you live your life or the way you respond in traffic or the way you express patience with your family or co-workers, you are touched by the power of Iyengar Yoga.  There is no doubt it transforms us.

Geeta Iyengar was teaching class the other evening and she spoke of her father.  She told us that he said, “If you are with me, I am with you.”  That statement is a gift I will cherish.  She also told us he said, “I will be watching you!”  As I hear that promise, my eyes smile away the moist feeling that begins to creep in.  Thank you, Guruji.

Below: A sweet moment with B.K.S. Iyengar in Pune, 1989.








2 comments:

  1. What a great photo. Hope a copy is hanging on a wall somewhere so it's always smiling at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great photo. Hope a copy is hanging on a wall somewhere so it's always smiling at you.

    ReplyDelete